Thursday, February 7, 2013

Does It Have to Be Black or White?

Happy New Year, Political Chicken followers!  I guess it's not really 'new', but you get my meaning.  Now, I know I'm not the first, nor will I be the last to explore or try to understand the differences between the races.  I have just sort of been hit upside the head with these 'differences' between black women and white women with regard to weight loss.

I am not only the Political Chicken, but I am also a blogger for a Boot Camp that I'm part of and I'm also the social media director by way of managing the Facebook page and the Twitter account.  Recently one of the boot camp members liked a page called A Black Girls Guide to Weight Loss.  Now, I'm not black so I am not aware of the different challenges that black women face during weight loss versus the ones white women face.  I just can't get past the thought that no matter what color your skin is, we all face food temptations and struggles with weight loss.  Crazy, right?  God created us all equal, and unfortunately, over the years, man has perverted the relationship between the different races; blacks, whites, hispanics, asians, etc.  That is not one persons fault, however, but a mentality that has been passed down through generations and throughout society as a whole.

I realize that the damage that has been done cannot be undone over night, but I just can't help but feel that this specialized blog and Facebook page specifically for black women is, well, racist.  Maybe racist is too harsh of a word, it seems 'exclusive'.  Normally when we think of the word exclusive, we think of glamour, something that is secretive or special.  Not always the case.  Exclusive can also mean keeping others out of a specific club or group or excluding those based on their race, religion, sex, or ethnicity.

If someone titled a page on Facebook The White Girls Guide to Weight Loss, there would be a huge uproar from the other ethnic communities, but mainly the black community.  The NAACP would have a field day, but not the other way around.  This infuriates me.  We have Miss Black America, but have a Miss White America and you'll have Al Sharpton screaming "Resist we much!" at the drop of a hat.  

Also, why do we let ourselves get defined by our race?  I'm a person, not just a white woman.  So, if you are black and you are married, then you are a husband or a wife, not a black husband or a black wife, am I right?  I wish we could put race aside for once and just be people.  I'm not sure if we ever will be able to.


1 comment:

  1. I hear what you're saying, but ... I think there could be legitimate reasons for "A Black Girls Guide to Weight Loss". There are genetic tendencies that vary around the world. Consider people with ancestry from Scandinavia, Southern Europe, & Japan, for example. Each of these have different inherited body characteristics that would impact their weight management. There are also dietary and cultural traditions that could be used to target an audience for a book. I think particularly in the 'self help' genre, people want to believe the product they purchase will help them reach their goals. Part of this is knowing the author has overcome similar challenges. Should someone from NYC complain if there was a Southern Cooking Weight Loss Guide? Should a man complain that it's only for girls? If the author has found a way to help their readers stay motivated and become successful in reaching their weight loss goals, more power to them.

    ReplyDelete