Friday, May 20, 2016

Hey, Harris County, Throw the Slates in the Trash!

I've written about them before, and I'll write about them again.  I will keep reiterating as long as I have to in order to put a stop to these slate mailers that are put out every single election cycle. 

I have no problem with a group or an individual endorsing a candidate for office, it's just when you pay money to the endorsers, then, that's when I have a problem.

Terry Lowry's Link Letter, Steven Hotze's Conservative Republicans of Harris County AND Gary Polland's Texas Conservative Review are the three top offenders in the slate mailer category.  I am so sick and tired of these three top paid endorsers being the voice of the county.  Now, it's not entirely their fault, though.  Yes, there is some blame to go around here.

The electorate is by and large...uninformed!  If you mail them something like what the aforementioned three mailers do, the voting populous will follow those recommendations without question.  They feel that the endorsers have done the research and they trust their decisions.  I mean, it's a whole lot easier to take someone else's word about who to vote for instead of actually doing the homework necessary to elect a qualified candidate.

How do we end this practice?  In my opinion, it starts with you, the voter.  We have to continue to share the truth about these mailers and then we have to make them irrelevant.  How do we do that?  Simple; when you see those mailers in your mailbox, throw them out and do your own research on who is best suited to be elected.  Those mailers are counting on you not to do your own home work to decide who best represents you.  Prove them wrong!  I'll even help you get started.  If you need a sample ballot to see who and what you'll be voting on, head on over to Harris Votes.org.  On the home page you will see "Sample Ballot".  Click on that link and type in your information and you can take it from there and remember, the people choose, not the party!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjfm64NS454

 Click on the photo to watch the video that I've made to see why the slate mailers need to be thrown away!


No comments:

Post a Comment